Start Here – Eligibility and Intake

For more than 50 years, The Moore Center has been a leader in helping people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and acquired brain disorders become happy, engaged members of the community. In turn, they enrich their communities and that leads to a better quality of life all around. 

The first step in obtaining services from The Moore Center is to have an eligibility review, and once eligibility is determined you can begin the intake process. Our specialists will guide and advise you every step of the way. 

The Moore Center serves two main groups of people: Those with Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities and Acquired Brain Disorders. Within these two groups we have three different Eligibility & Intake processes: 

  1. Early Supports and Services (for ages birth through 3 years old)
  2. Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities 
  3. Acquired Brain Disorder

The Moore Center’s Moore Options for Seniors program also provides in-home personal care and innovative alternatives to nursing homes that are significantly more affordable.

Please review the information below to determine how to engage with us to obtain services. 

Early Supports & Services

Anyone who is concerned about an infant or toddler’s development, including a parent, may make a referral to Family Centered Early Supports & Services (FCESS). The program is designed for children birth through age three who have a diagnosed, established condition that has a high probability of resulting in delay, are experiencing developmental delays, or are at risk for substantial developmental delays if supports and services are not provided.

Rolling over, sitting, taking first steps and smiling are exciting moments for parents. These exciting moments are also considered developmental milestones and let us know that children are developing. Because all babies are different, they rarely do the same thing at exactly the same age. As a result, it’s not unusual for parents to have questions or concerns about their child’s development. You may wonder:

  • Why isn’t my child crawling?
  • Why can’t anyone understand what my child is saying?
  • Are my child’s eyes working correctly?
  • When should my child begin to eat solid food?
  • Why can’t my child play alone?
  • As a parent, you know your child best. If you are concerned that your child is not making progress or that the progress is slow, talk with your pediatrician or make a referral to Family Centered Early Supports and Services.

Family Centered Early Supports and Services

New Hampshire participates in The Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act Part C program, referred to in NH as Family Centered Early Supports and Services (FCESS). FCESS is program for Infants and toddlers ages birth to 3 who qualify for early intervention services under one of four categories:

  • At-risk for developmental delay
  • Developmental delay
  • Established condition
  • Atypical development

A child must be referred to Early Supports and Services and the referral can come from anyone, it does not have to come from your child’s physician.

After the referral is made, the next step is to have the child assessed. During the assessment process, a child’s motor skills, communication development, learning skills, social interaction and emotional development are fully evaluated. Once completed, and the child is found eligible, an Individualized Family Support Plan is developed for the child and the family. By working Closely with parents, family centered early supports and services ensure that both services, formal and informal, and community supports are brought together to meet each child’s unique needs and the needs of their families.

Family centered early supports and services are provided within a child’s home or where a child spends time. In this way, a child and family are better able to participate and become more actively involved in their community. 

For eligibility questions or to apply for services from our Early Supports & Services program, please contact Beth Warner via email or call 603-206-2732. 

For more information see our Early Supports & Services program.

Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities

For an individual over 3 years old, an intake can be done for services under the Developmental Disability Waiver. In order to be eligible for the waiver, an individual needs to meet the following criteria as stated in the regulations. They must have a developmental disability;

“Developmental Disability” means “developmental disability” as defined in RSA 171-A:2, V, namely, “a disability:

(a) Which is attributable to an intellectual disability, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autism, or a specific learning disability, or any other condition of an individual found to be closely related to an intellectual disability as it refers to general intellectual functioning or impairment in adaptive behavior or requires treatment similar to that required for persons with an intellectual disability; and

(b) Which originates before such individual attains age 22, has continued or can be expected to continue indefinitely, and constitutes a severe disability to such individual’s ability to function normally in society.”

In order to determine if an individual is eligible, the individual/guardian must supply the following documentation:

  • Current IEP
  • Physical from primary care doctor
  • Psychological Assessment from with the past 3 years
  • Any other additional testing which has been completed, if any
  • Other documentation may be requested on a case by case basis

The documentation, along with a functional assessment performed by the Intake Coordinator, is sent electronically to Community Supports Network, Inc. (CNSI). They provide eligibility recommendations for each Area Agency in New Hampshire. In some cases, an eligibility file may go to Tier Two, where the state psychologist reviews the information. He will then give a recommendation as well.

Children may be determined conditionally eligible, which mean they are eligible until a certain age. At that point, they will need to complete a redetermination to see if they are still eligible.

Children and young adults under age 22 who have a traumatic brain injury (TBI) will complete an intake under the Developmental Disability Waiver. 

For eligibility questions or to apply for services from our Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities program, please contact Lindsey Magee via email or call 603-206-2879. 

For more information see our Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities program.

Acquired Brain Disorder

For an individual with an Acquired Brain Disorder (ABD), the intake will require different documentation. In order to be eligible for this waiver, an individual must show the need for a “skilled nursing level of care”. The following documentation would be needed to complete an intake for the ABD Waiver:

  1. Physical
  2. Neuropsychological assessment from within the past six months
  3. Any other evaluations (i.e. Functional, Mental Health, Speech, Occupational Therapy, etc) completed within the past year, if any
  4. Hospital/Doctor documentation of condition (Admission or discharge documentation from injury, if available)
  5. Medical information/documentation on status of condition

The documentation, along with a functional assessment performed by the Intake Coordinator, is sent electronically to Community Supports Network, Inc. (CNSI). They will provide an eligibility recommendation for Non-Waivered Case Management. This case management includes advocacy and providing resources to the individual. Once approved for Non-Waivered Case Management, the documentation will be sent to the Bureau for waiver eligibility. The Bureau has an ABD Committee that meets to determine if an individual meets the criteria set in the regulations.

Once determined eligible for either the DD or ABD waiver, a Family Support worker will be assigned to assist the individual/guardian on determining which services would best serve the individual. Examples of those services may include, but are not limited to: Respite, Camperships, In Home Supports, Day Services, and Residential Services. 

For eligibility questions or to apply for services from our Acquired Brain Disorders program, please contact Lindsey Magee via email or call 603-206-2879.

For more information see our Acquired Brain Disorders page.

Moore Options for Seniors

We understand the importance of enabling seniors to live at home, so we offer an array of creative programs to help them remain in a home environment for as long as possible. We provide in-home personal care and innovative alternatives to nursing homes that are significantly more affordable. 

There are many ways to maintain independence while also getting needed assistance. Our programs and services enable seniors living anywhere in New Hampshire to live independently – with all the support they need.

(NOTE: The link below will take you to Moore Options for Seniors, which is a different website.)
For more information please visit Moore Options for Seniors.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This

Share This

Share this with your friends!